Spinach Parmesean!



Now who dare take my precious tomato sauce out of one of my all time favorite dishes and replace it with spinach? Idk but I'm glad they did! It was a nice change of pace plus the spinach saves some calories which is always a good thing! I traditionally serve pasta with my chicken parm but I subbed it for brown rice in this recipe and it was delicious. I'm sure you could do pasta as well but that'd add a few more calories.

I was feeling good about this being a low calorie dish so I went light with the sides as well, steamed broccoli and half a baked sweet potato. I did splurge on the butter and cinnamon sugar for my potato, which I highly recommend!!! 

For 2 servings:
1 boneless skinless chicken breast
3 cups raw spinach
3/4 cups milk (I used evaporated milk)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 T minced garlic
1/2 T butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup brown rice
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
Oil (to cook chicken)


Sides
1 1/2 cup broccoli
1 sweet potato
1/2 T butter
Cinnamon sugar, salt and pepper to taste


Directions 
Cook brown rice according to package (I always start my brown rice first because it takes a while, usually about 45 minutes or so).

Throw your sweet potato in the microwave after poking some holes in it. Alternatively, you could bake it but that takes forever!

Heat a pan on med-high, add whatever oil you want to use, I use olive oil. Place chicken **i cut mine in half twice, so I had 4 pieces** in pan and cook until done (you can season it if you want, I always throw a little Tony's on just about everything). Remove and set aside

In the same pan cook your spinach until wilted, remove and set aside.

Add butter to pan and heat until foam subsides then add garlic and cook until a little browned.

Pour in milk and slowly add Parmesan, stirring so it doesn't clump. Let sauce simmer until it thickens. Season to taste.

Steam your broccoli *If you're like me and want to save on dishes, steam the broccoli above your boiling rice so those "lost nutrients" get infused into your rice!

Once sauce thickens add spinach and chicken back into pan and heat thoroughly. 

Place two pieces of chicken atop half of the brown rice then spoon spinach Parmesan mixture over it, immediately sprinkle with half of the mozzarella so that the heat from the sauce will melt it. 

Season your broccoli and sweet potato to your liking, plate and eat!

Hope you try it and love it! The entire meal in under 400 calories (sides included) so how could you not? =)



0 comments:

Post a Comment