Easy BBQ "Pulled" Chicken



I'm always looking for ways to save money, especially on food because that's one thing I know I don't have the option not to buy. So as of late I've been raiding my freezer for any and every usable item. Last night, I stumbled upon a bag of drumsticks, which I'm sure was left by our former 'roommates' because the only chicken I buy is boneless skinless breasts and the occasional pack of wings. I'm not really a drumstick person so I decided google recipe ideas using drumsticks while they defrosted. I came across multiple posts and recipes for shredded chicken which was something I hadn't made in a while, plus it reminded me of my beloved pulled pork sandwiches so "pulled chicken" sandwiches it was!

I started by boiling the drumsticks with enough water to cover them, it took about 20 minutes.


*note: I added onions, carrots, parsley and a little salt and pepper to my water to make a nice broth that I could use for other dishes but you don't have to do that.
Once my chicken was cooked, I pulled it off the bones, burning my fingers along the way because I was too hun...impatient to wait for it to cool


Then I put the chicken back in the pot along with a little of the broth and set it on medium heat


Next I added one of my favorite BBQ sauces, Sweet Baby Ray's, a little brown sugar, dijon mustard, hot pepper sauce and Tony's....I just like to spruce stuff up but you can just use BBQ or throw your own extras in if you want.



Mixed everything up, let it heat throughout and it was good to go!




______________________________________________________________________

For 4 servings (sandwiches), I used:


chicken drumsticks
8 slices of bread
3 C water
1/2 C BBQ sauce
1-2 T dijon mustard
1 T brown sugar
1-2 T hot pepper sauce
Tony's to taste


Directions
1. Place chicken and water in pot and boil for 20 minutes or until done

2. Once cooked, set drumsticks on a plate to cool before shredding. Remove broth to store or toss and place back on stove over med heat

3. Add chicken back to pot along with BBQ sauce, mustard, sugar, seasoning and hot pepper sauce. Stir to combine and heat throughout

4. Spoon chicken on bread (toasted is best!) and enjoy. I like to add pickles to mine, delicious!

**If you're going to keep your broth, let it cool before storing in fridge or freezer.




0 comments:

Post a Comment